Saturday, May 5, 2012

Good Word Useage in 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'

One of my favorite Disney movies is the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I had known that it had some awesome word usage, like calumny and consternation, but I hadn't realized how much. I found the script online, and picked the best lines. The all-caps lines are songs.

Clopin: THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME
JUDGE CLAUDE FROLLO LONGED TO PURGE THE WORLD OF VICE AND SIN
AND HE SAW CORRUPTION EVERYWHERE EXCEPT WITHIN.
 Frollo: Bring these gypsy vermin to the Palace of Justice.
Archdeacon: YOU CAN LIE TO YOURSELF AND YOUR MINIONS
YOU CAN CLAIM THAT YOU HAVEN'T A QUALM
BUT YOU NEVER CAN RUN FROM,
NOR HIDE WHAT YOU'VE DONE FROM THE EYES
THE VERY EYES OF NOTRE DAME!

Victor the gargoyle: It would be a veritable potpourri of educational experience.

Frollo: Shall we review your alphabet today?
Quasimodo: Yes, master. I would like that very much.
Frollo: Very well. A?
Quasimodo: Abomination.
Frollo: B? Quasimodo: Blasphemy.
Frollo: C?
Quasimodo: C-c-c-contrition.
Frollo: D?
Quasimodo: Damnation.
Frollo: E?
Quasimodo: Eternal damnation!

Frollo: OUT THERE, THEY'LL REVILE YOU AS A MONSTER
Quasimodo: I AM A MONSTER
Frollo: OUT THERE, THEY WILL HATE WITH SCORN AND JEER
Quasimodo: ONLY A MONSTER
Frollo: WHY INVITE THEIR CALUMNY AND CONSTERNATION?
STAY IN HERE, BE FAITHFUL TO ME

Quasimodo: SAFE BEHIND THESE WINDOWS AND THESE PARAPETS OF STONE
GAZING AT THE PEOPLE DOWN BELOW ME
 ALL MY LIFE I WATCH THEM
AS I HIDE UP HERE ALONE
HUNGRY FOR THE HISTORIES THEY SHOW ME

Crowd: TOPSY TURVY!
Clopin & Crowd: JOIN THE BUMS AND THIEVES AND STRUMPETS
STREAMING IN FROM CHARTRES TO CALAIS

Quasimodo: At sunset, I ring the evening mass, and after that, I clean the cloisters, and then I ring the vespers, and-- (Esmeralda gives Quasimodo a little peck on the cheek.)
Quasimodo: --Whatever's good for you.

Victor: You ejected that tin-plated baboon with great panache!

 Frollo: BEATTA MARIA
YOU KNOW I AM A RIGHTEOUS MAN
OF MY VIRTUE, I AM JUSTLY PROUD
BEATTA MARIA YOU KNOW
I'M SO MUCH PURER THAN THE COMMON, VULGAR, WEAK, LICENTIOUS CROWD
PROTECT ME, MARIA!
DON'T LET THIS SIREN CAST HER SPELL
DON'T LET HER FIRE SEAR MY FLESH AND BONE
DESTROY ESMERALDA AND LET HER TASTE THE FIRES OF HELL
OR ELSE LET HER BE MINE AND MINE ALONE!

 Phoebus: Citizens of Paris! Frollo has persecuted our people, ransacked our city! Now he has declared war on Notre Dame herself! Will we allow it?!?

 Frollo: And He shall smite the wicked and plunge them into the fiery pit!

Source

2 comments:

  1. It's an awesome article designed for all the internet viewers; they will take benefit from it I am sure.

    My webpage ... reputation managers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Тhis article will help the internet users for cгeatіng new blog or
    even a blog frоm start to enԁ.

    my weblog ... reputation management

    ReplyDelete