Saturday, December 10, 2011

Daniel Radcliffe in the news

Photobucket
Daniel Radcliffe has skilfully mastered the transition from Hogwarts boy hero to leading man status (on film and Broadway)— but his girlfriend has torn him off a strip for not being better around the house. The star told me he has been given a two-year deadline to get his domestic act together.

Daniel, who opens in February in the sublime Gothic psychological thriller The Woman In Black, spelled out to me what Rosie Coker, his girlfriend, told him.

‘She says I have a deadline of two years to be like a fully-functioning human being around the house,’ he told me.
Photobucket
I asked him what, exactly, that entailed. ‘I think it means I have to be able to cook for myself better than I can at the moment, and it means I can’t leave the house in a state the way I do.

‘I didn’t promise her anything, but I have made it my mission to improve myself. There’s certainly progress to be made,’ he joked, after admitting that his talent as an actor far outweighed his ability to function in the kitchen.
Photobucket
He said a low point came when he was back in London a while ago and wolfed down half a bowl of cereal before rushing off to catch an early flight. A week later, the bowl and the cereal were still there: congealed into a rock-solid mess. ‘I tried to change after that, but it has been a slow process,’ he says.

Rosie has just finished working as a production assistant on Snow White And The Huntsman. She arrived in New York on Sunday.

I asked whether Daniel had hired someone to clean his apartment for her arrival. He blushed and made a startling confession. ‘My mum’s here and she came round and tidied everything up for me.’
Photobucket
Seeing my incredulous expression, he explained he had a good excuse: two performances on Saturday of his hit musical How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying — plus a Sunday matinee. On those points he’s forgiven because the show, directed by Rob Ashford, is like running a marathon every day.

Daniel and Rosie met on the Harry Potter set and have been close for more than a year, though she has had to fly in to see him during his ten months on Broadway. ‘She’s busy, I’m busy, but we’re making it work and it’s good. She’s helped me grow up and I love her very much.

‘When you find somebody as cool and as tolerant as my girlfriend then the clear policy is to cling on to them for dear life,’ Daniel told me as we sat in a diner not far from his apartment.
Photobucket
Daniel and Rosie, both 22, also worked on The Woman In Black together. The film is based on the ghostly thriller written by Susan Hill. As directed by James Watkins it’s an elegant homage to the old Hammer films. Indeed, it’s being released under the Hammer banner: the first time that’s happened in more than 20 years. The stage play it’s based on is still running in the West End. Daniel plays lawyer Arthur Kipps, who is sent to settle the estate of a deceased client who lived in a remote mansion, accessible only by a causeway...He gives a remarkable performance — confirming the early promise evident when he did Equus in the West End and on Broadway, and the later Potter pictures.

Daniel says he’s amazed he had ‘the cojones’ to do Equus (where he famously stripped off on stage), but he feels the play helped define him as an actor prepared to take serious risks.
Photobucket
He finishes in How To Succeed In Business on January 1. He’ll then do five weeks of promotion on The Woman In Black, have three weeks off and then prepare for the edgy independent movie Kill Your Darlings, in which he will portray beat poet Allen Ginsberg.
Photobucket
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment