Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Don't mind me, I'm trying to deal without new HP movies

Daniel Radcliffe at 11:
Interviewer: How did you learn you had been cast?
DR: I was sitting in the bath, and I heard the phone ring, and I heard my dad go downstairs, pick it up, and say, 'Hello, David.' David Heyman, the producer, was the only David we knew at the time. So I knew it was him, but I thought it was going to be a let-down phone call to tell me I hadn't got the part. But my dad then came up and told me. I just sat there for a while, and then I started to cry. Then I woke up at 2 a.m. and thought it was a dream.
Is it true that you were a practical joker on the set?
DR: There was this one time when it was getting on to Halloween. I'd gone out and bought these blood capsules, vampire things. You put them in your mouth and chew them, and you let the blood dribble down your chin. I went to the makeup bus, and they have these steel steps outside. I whacked them really hard with my hand to make it sound like I'd fallen. Then I rushed in and spit blood all over the floor. If David Heyman had been there at the time, I think he may have died.
And I changed the language on Robbie Coltrane's phone to Turkish.
[Of this prank, Coltrane, who plays Hogwarts gameskeeper Hagrid in the series, recalled: "I have a Motorola, and it has 17 languages in it, and the wee bugger went into it and found Turkish and changed it. So you'd think [to fix it] you could just go into 'language change,' but of course to go into 'language change,' you have to know the Turkish for 'language change.' So we had to phone-up one of the makeup guys had married a Turkish girl. It was like an episode of 'Fawlty Towers.' At the time, it was very funny."]
What did you think of the completed film?
DR: Again I was speechless. And again I cried. But I'm not a wimp. Don't let that mislead you.

Is the attention from press and fans a downside?
DR: No, this is actually one of the coolest bits. If I had to pick one, it's writing the autographs. My name is too long. I'm going to try to work on it to get a quicker signature. I do enjoy [being recognized]. My teacher always said I was an attention seeker.
How many reporters have you talked to recently?
Emma Watson, age 9: Oh my God.
Rupert Grint, age 11: I've lost count. About three million.

Do they all ask the same questions?
RG: Yeah, but it's cool.
EW: They come up with exactly the same questions, and you can say exactly the same answers. So you don't have to think. You can just stand there like a broken record.

What has been the biggest perk?
RG: What does perk mean?
EW: I'd say going to different places. We went to loads of different locations, which was really fun. We met interesting people. And we had really good co-stars, i.e., Maggie Smith, Robbie Coltrane, Zoe Wanamaker, Julie Walters. It was just a great cast.
RG: For me, probably the sweets.
EW: I make this long, sobby speech, and he says, 'Sweets.'

If you could have a magical power in real life, what would it be?
DR: Probably invisibility. Then I could sneak into rock concerts and films.
EW: I think I'd make myself invisible so I could go into movies for over-15s.
RG: Yeah, I'd be invisible so I could sneak out of detention.

You're about to start filming the next movie, 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.' What can you reveal about it?
RG: It's going to be fun. I can't wait to cough up slugs.
10 years later, two 11 year olds asked these questions:
Daniel Radcliffe
Q. Do you like the movies being pretty much all about you? Did you like all of the attention?
A. Well, yes, I am a massive egomaniac. ... Do I like it all being about me? Well, I can’t really say ‘no’ … I suppose it’s a nice feeling to know that you’re an important person on the set. But to be honest with you, I think any actor that views actors as the most important people on the set are so deluded, because there are literally millions of actors all over the world. There are many more actors in the world than there are Steadicam (camera) operators, so we are, logically speaking, a lot more expendable. So no, I don’t say I like it all being about me. It’s just the way it was. I was just the one that looked the most like Harry when they were auditioning people.

Q. Are you like your character in a lot of ways?
A. It was funny, when my mum read the sixth book, she said, “It’s weird. It’s sort of like Jo (“Harry Potter” author J.K. Rowling) does sort of know you a bit now. ... When Harry argues and he gets on the defensive, he becomes really irritating like you do.” So I think in that way, when we’re on the defensive, we both tend to get more belligerent. ... Other than that, we’ve both got a lot of curiosity. We both put a lot of value in our friends. I think we’ve both got quite the sense of humor.

Q. Is it hard for you to end the series, because most of your acting career has been as Harry?
A. Having watched these amazing actors for 10 years, having learned so much, it’s now kind of time. My education is complete, and it’s now time for me sort of to be released in the wild and see how I function in the real world.
Emma Watson
Q. Does it get annoying when the main characters are boys and you are the only girl?
A. When I was younger, I did struggle. I wished for a girl on set a lot, actually. There are times when I did feel really left out.


Q. Because you bossed Daniel and Rupert around in the movies, did you ever do it accidentally in real life?
A. Oh, all the time, all the time! Definitely. They’ll tell you that I definitely bossed them around at times. Sometimes, I accidentally found myself directing, giving them direction on a scene that we’re doing together. I’d have to catch myself, because I’m like, that really isn’t my job. I really shouldn’t be telling them that.

Q. You have a cat in the movie. Do you like cats in real life?
A. I love cats. I’m such a cat person. I actually miss my cats so much. I grew up around them...Being around cats, it really calms me down.

Q. Do you wish you were your character? Do you wish you were magical and could get away from the real world?
A. These questions are brilliant. I don’t know, actually. Having watched this last movie, the magical world is pretty dark. It seems quite scary. I don’t know whether it would be fun. Do I wish I was my character? No. I’m pretty happy being Emma. I’m pretty content as Emma.
Tom Felton
Q. Is it hard for you to be nice in the real world when you’re so mean in the films?
A. I think it actually makes me slightly nicer. I think I get to vent my day-to-day frustrations and annoyances through this Hitler-like child, and by doing so, it seems to be quite therapeutic. And hopefully, I’m a slightly friendlier soul.

Q. Are you a bit like your character in a way (no offense)?
A. I’m glad they said no offense, because I get a lot of genuine journalists saying, “How similar are you to your character?” ... God, I hope I’m not anything even remotely close, other than in the way we look. I think we’re polar opposites. I like to think of myself as a fairly un-Draco-esque character.

No comments:

Post a Comment