Monday, May 9, 2011

NYC, Part 7

Thursday, Part 2:
After leaving the Harry Potter Exhibition, I wandered around more until I found the Al Hirschfeld Theatre, where 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' is playing. I took a ton of pictures of the theatre and all the posters of Daniel Radcliffe.

After that, I walked to a deli in Times Square, where I got one of the most delicious lunches ever- a panini with fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes, chips, a big pickle and a cannoli. It was amazing. I then wandered around the city until I ended up back at 48th street, where I ran into my cousin and aunt. We went and saw her bridal suite-absurdly gorgeous. I went back to the room and got my backpack, and took a cab to the hostel.

I checked in, and was given a room on the second floor, where I met 2 girls from Manchester. After taking a nap, I started to get ready for the show! 2 girls, one from Holland and one from Denmark helped me zip my dress up. I then got all my stuff together, and went to get a cab to the theatre.
I got to the theatre at 6:30, when the doors opened. I got to my seat in the 8th row orchestra, 5 seats in, and said a silent plea that nobody tall would be sitting in front of me. I got my wish! I sat between a couple from London who were on their honeymoon, and a mother and daughter from Texas.

The show was absolutely amazing. When Daniel first appeared on the harness, I grinned so hard I thought my face would crack. I had this smile on my face for the whole show. I could've sworn he looked straight at me a few times-though I'm probably delusional. The whole cast was amazing, and it was a funny, delighful show. 'Brotherhood of Man' brought down the house.

I told the mother that I was going to leave right at the curtain call (it was a tip from the usher on how to be in the front at the barriers at the stage door) and she told me that was fine. Right after the last song ended, when the scrim came down before the curtain call, I booked it out of the theatre. I thanked the ushers at the door, and literally ran to the barriers in my ballet flats.

I was one of the first ones there! I was right at the front, and got all set up. I was so excited to meet Daniel Radcliffe, I couldn't stop smiling. We all waited (there were probably 75 or so people there) for about half an hour, and then John Larouquette came out to sign autographs!

I told him that I came from Montana to see this amazing show, and he asked which town.
Me: "Missoula."
"Oh, I know it well."
Me: "Wait, really?"
"Yeah, I used to live in Sun Valley, Idaho. I went into Montana all the time."
Me: "That's so cool! I love going to school there."
"What are you studying?"
Me: "Journalism."
"Oh, I have a friend that works in Missoula for a paper."
Me: "Cool! The Missoulian or the Independent?"
"Independent."
Me: "That's awesome. You were amazing in the show, I read that you improvise a lot."
"What did you notice tonight?"
Me: "Oh, this was my first time seeing the show, but you were hilarious."
"Thank you so much, you're very sweet. Have a good night."

Did I feel bad for monopolizing the conversation? A little, but no one else was saying anything!

After John left, Rose Hemingway speedwalked from the theatre to a car, and nobody asked her to sign anything. I was kicking myself for not recognizing her faster.

About 10 minutes later, the crowd control guy Neal, said "Do you guys want the good news or the bad news?"
"Both."
"The good news is, I'm going to be here! Bad news is, it's Cinco de Mayo, and Daniel has friends in town so they're taking him out. He's not signing tonight."

My heart sank. The guys started taking down the barriers, so I went over and asked Neal if there was anything I could do. I was about to cry from disappointment, and I think he noticed.

"Come back tomorrow at 10. The show gets over at 10:45, and I'll make sure you meet Dan."
"Will you remember me?"
"Of course! You're the girl from Montana in the purple coat."
"Okay, thank you so much! I really appreciate it."
"No problem, see you tomorrow."

A girl behind me said "I bet they're just trying to get us to leave. I bet Daniel's still in there. I'm going to wait."Another crowd control guy snorted, and said "If he was still in the theatre, these would not be coming down." I said "Yeah, there would be a damn riot, and I would be in it." He gave me a high-five, and thanked me for understanding.

I walked away from the theatre, a little sad, but determined to return tomorrow. After calling my mom, I went to get a late dinner at the Mcdonald's in Times Square. I tried for 20 minutes to get a cab, and finally got one to take me to the hostel on 103rd. I went to bed, because Friday was going to be another adventure!

Friday: Meeting Betty White at Barnes and Noble, Central Park Zoo, family time, going to the UN hotel, American Girl Place, Rockerfeller Center, drinking in Times Square, and MEETING DANIEL RADCLIFFE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment