Sunday, May 8, 2011

NYC, Part 5

Wednesday:
I woke up at 5am on Wednesday to get ready to go the airport. I took a shower and drank some coffee, and then my roommate drove me to the airport at 6. My flight left at 7, and then I had a 2 hour layover in Denver.

I got some delicious pizza, and when I was finished eating, an older man laughed a little in my direction. I gave him an inquisitvie look, and he said "I've never seen someone eat so symmetrically." I looked down-all of my pizza crusts were in a neat row; I hadn't even noticed. He then said "I have to take a picture!"

Um, okay.

So he took a picture of me and my pizza crusts, and then I left to find my gate. I read my dog-eared copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone while I waited, and then realized that it was time to board! I was thrilled...until I realized that my seat was in the last row on the window.

2 parents who had a 14-month old son sat down next to me. All was well...until the 6-month old in front of me started screaming bloody murder. The mother then commenced a 4 hour game of "Peek-a-boo!" complete with a super high-pitched voice. Then the 14-month old started reaching for me, which I thought was sort of cute...until he started pawing at my chest. I tried to laugh it off, but he kept going for my ladybits. His mother eventually calmed him down and he went to sleep, while the 6-month old was still screaming. I tried to nap, I tried to read, I tried to listen to music...finally we landed in New York at Laguardia, after this 4 hour trial.

I waited 45 minutes for a shuttle, which was not the best idea. I had no idea where I was going. Thankfully, a nice guy had an iphone and walked me to my hotel. He was in the city for a job interview, and he was so lovely to this random girl from Montana who had no idea where to go.

I found my aunt's hotel room, and met with her and my favorite cousin for the first time since my Grandma's funeral last June. My cousin had to go to a dance class, so my aunt took me out to dinner at a nice Italian place, where I had spinach ravioli with pistachio sauce. It was delicious.

We walked back to the hotel, taking the scenic route-my aunt showed me the church, my cousin's old apartment, the UN, and the Katherine Hepburn garden. She then ironed all of my clothes, including my coat. I love her. My cousin came to meet me after her dance class and we went out drinking for the first time!

She took me to a Mexican bar, where I got carded. The bartender thought it was either weird or awesome that I was from Montana. I had a blood orange and rum drink, and we split a cactus-strawberry frozen margarita. It was amazing. I flirted with the bartender, and my cousin and I talked incessantly.

We then started walking back to the hotel, and were stopped by 2 men who asked for a lighter. I gave them the one I had been carrying around in my purse for 3 years, and then my cousin said we should go into this bar. I didn't get carded! We had rum and coke, and talked more. It was the first time I had seen female bartenders in hot pants and crop tops. I'm guessing that helps with tips. After that, I was slightly tipsy and we walked back to the hotel, where I showed her my Disney World scrapbook.

I fell asleep to the sound of horns and sirens on the 9th floor of the hotel.

Thursday: Bryant Park, Times Square, Harry Potter Exhibition, the Disney store, checking into the Youth Hostel, eating at a real NYC deli, and watching 'How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying' (AMAZING!)

No comments:

Post a Comment