Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nostalgia!

It's list time! It was inspired by this list

Things I was into when I was growing up  in the 90's:
(I was born in 1989)

The Babysitter's Club series. My favorite babysitter was Stacy, because she was so sophisticated and was from New York City. Dawn was also cool, because she was vegetarian (like me!), and from California. (My mom drove me to Denver so I could meet Ann M. Martin, I still have the 2 books she autographed:
Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Salem and Harvey were the best part of the series.
Recess. It was one of the things my brother Cullen and I watched on ABC's 'One Saturday Morning' line-up. Ashley Spinelli was my favorite (the girl with the hat).

The Boxcar Children series. It was so old when I was young, but I loved it. I loved that the 4 siblings lived in a boxcar, and kept it around after their grandfather adopted them.

Wishbone! One of my favorite episodes was Joan of Arc, and Romeo and Juliet. I freaking loved that talking dog that loved acting out famous books on PBS.
Anne of Green Gables. I wish I could dye my hair black without a second thought.
American Girl. The book series, and the dolls. My favorite was Samantha, my mom's favorite was Josefina or Molly, and my dad's was Abby. When I went to the 'American Girl Place' in Chicago with my mom, I made a doll that 'looks like me', because my best friend Monica had Samantha. I'm still wishing I had gotten Samantha, but I saved to buy her pink and white birthday dress for my doll. For Christmas one year, my mom made Monica and I matching Samantha nightgowns.
 
Ramona Quimby (and other Beverly Cleary books). My favorite was Ramona Forever, because Ramona was so spunky and saved her uncle's wedding.
Happy Birthday to You! by Dr. Seuss. My family reads this book to each other on their birthday, every year, without fail.
(This picture was taken in January 2011 at Universal Studios, where I was thrilled to discover this book in the Seuss Landing bookstore)
Barbies. When I learned to tie my shoes, I got Babysitter Barbie. When I got a good report card in elementary school, I got Gymnast Skipper. My mom found me a gigantic, 3-side white wooden doll house at a garage sale, which I painted a sickening shade of pink. I spent hours playing Barbies with myself and with friends. I sold all but one when I moved to Montana at 13.
 
Having tea parties, dressing up, and playing princess with my best friend Monica! This went on for years, and got progressively fancier as time went on.

My mom read Cullen and me Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone when I was in first grade. This started my life-long obsession with all things Harry Potter.
Other delightful things: The Sweet Valley series, Calvin and Hobbes, every Little House book by Laura Ingalls Wilder (my favorite was Farmer Boy), Oregon Trail, Dear America series (I still own the Titanic one), my vinyl Winnie the Pooh lunchbox, Royal Diaries series (I still own the ones about Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth I) Lisa Frank folders, slap bracelets, the original Pokemon, Captain Planet, the Where in the World is Carmen San Diego game, Power Rangers (my favorite was the Pink one), Magic School Bus, The Phantom Tollbooth, the Wayside School books, Warheads candy, cassette players and CD players, playing the MASH (Mansion, Apartment, Shack, Home) game, Where the Red Fern Grows, "collecting" Beanie Babies, Lambchop's never-ending song, Goosebumps books, Skip It's, learning the Macarena in P.E., light-up tennis shoes, Pizza Hut pan pizza coupons for reading, playing 4-square and jump rope during recess when I wasn't on the swings, hula-hooping, and watching Pinky and the Brain, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Doug and Sailor Moon with Cullen.

I had a fantastic childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment