Sunday, July 4, 2010

Last Night

I went out dancing last night, as I do. My friend who I usually go with is in New Mexico for the next few weeks. So I was a little sad I had to go alone, but decided to make the best of things. I got to the bar, paid the cover charge, and looked for a seat. There was only one chair at the bar, and I decided to take it. As soon as I sat down, an old man wandered up to me.
He said genially "Hey, how are you?"
"Good, thanks."
"Are you sure you're old enough to be here?"

Seriously? Again?

"Yes. Yes, I am."
I started watching the crowd interactions, one of my favorite things to do. I muttered under my breath "this music sucks."
The old man, still standing next to me, goes "That's the thing about getting older. All music is noise. HA. HA. But you know what I discovered? I was on the facebook yesterday, and found out that this Justin kid....Bieber...yeah, Justin Bieber....my granddaughter was at his concert, and he picked her out of everyone there to go up onstage. And he sang to her, kissed her, and gave her a dozen roses. And I learned all that on the facebook." he ended proudly.

I nodded and said politely "that's cool" as I finished my gin and tonic

Then someone touched my shoulder. I turned around, and saw a girl I went to high school with. "I've been staring at you for forever. And I went to high school with you. But I don't remember your name."
"I'm Anna."
"ANNA! Hi! What are you doing these days?"
"I'm a senior in college."
"No shit? I have two kids!"

I suddenly felt slightly superior.

"Oh cool! How old are they?"
"6 months and 20 months. I popped them out one after another!"
"Congratulations? How's motherhood?"
"I love it."
"Good, I'm glad to hear it. Have a good night."
"Have fun in college!"
"Have fun with your children?"
"Thank you."

She wandered away, and a girl sitting next to me goes "You should feel really good that you're in college instead of 'popping out kids' at 21." I thanked her, then saw a friend on the dance floor.

I excused myself, and went to dance with him, rum and coke in hand. We danced together for a few songs, and then I went to the bathroom.

In the bathroom, a random girl says "You look so pretty! You should ask the guy in the white cowboy hat to dance."
"Um, any reason why?"
"No, just do it!"

I decided to, mostly because my dance partner was outside taking a breather. I walked up to white cowboy hat man, and asked him to dance. He said "I don't dance. But my friend here does!" A guy in a baseball hat with curly hair smiled at me and asked "Would you like to dance?" I smiled back and said yes.
He led me out on the dance floor, where a salsa-ish song was playing.

He had jackhammer hips.

POWPOWPOWPOW
POWPOUNDPOUNDPOUND
LEFTRIGHTLEFTRIGHT
POWPOWPOW
NO SENSE OF RHYTHM

I was counting the seconds until the song was over. The song finally ended, and I thanked him, then promptly joined my dance partner at his table where he was laughing hysterically. "He looked so out of place! Come on, let's show him how it's really done."

We started dancing together, and I saw a really cute guy in an orange shirt and cab driver's hat walk by. I looked at him for awhile, and then I excused myself from my fabulous dance partner.
I walked up to him and said "I like your hat!"
"Really? Most people don't. Could I buy you a drink?"

It's that easy?

"Sure, thank you."
We walked to the bar, where he ordered two mind erasers, like fake white russians. Kahlua, vodka, and club soda. He drank his straight down, where I took longer. He asked me how old I was.
"21 in May."
"Happy belated birthday!"
"Thanks, how old are you?"
"24 last January."
"Happy super belated birthday!"
He smiled at me and then asked "So, do you like to dance?"
"I love to dance."
"Would you like to dance with me?"
"I'd love to."

He took me hand as he led me onto the dance floor.

We danced to song after song, and it was lovely. He went to the bathroom, and I started dancing with my dance partner again. "He's so cute! Good job!" he said. "Thanks!" I yawned, and asked what time it was. "1:30."
"I think I'm going to go home."
"You can't leave me!" he dramatically cried.
"Love, I'll see you next week."
"Okay. I love you! Have a safe walk home."
"I love you too. I will."

I grabbed my coat and my purse, and passed cute orange shirt boy on my way out. I said "Thank you for the drink."
"Thank you for the dances."
"No problem, I had fun."
"Me too...Could I give you a good night kiss?"
I blushed. "Um, sure."
He gave me a short, sweet kiss, and told me to "be safe and I hope I see you again."
"Me too, good night."

I walked home happy and singing, as I do, in my tipsy state.

No comments:

Post a Comment