Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Harry Potter Post 17

Examples of why I adore Professor McGonagall:
 Professor McGonagall to Umbridge: "I wonder how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves, who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier, and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth, "It unscrews the other way."
Professor Trelawney: "My dears! Which of you left his seat first? Which?"
Professor McGonagall: "I doubt it will make much difference, unless a mad axe-man is waiting outside the doors to slaughter the first into the entrance hall."
 Professor McGonagall to Neville: "It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson she's got, rather than the one she thinks she ought to have - particularly after what happened at the Ministry."

"It’s not a case of what you’ll permit, Minerva McGonagall. Your time’s over. It’s us what’s in charge here now, and you’ll back me up or you’ll pay the price."
And he spat in her face.
Harry pulled the Cloak off himself, raised his wand, and said, "You shouldn’t have done that."
As Amycus spun around, Harry shouted, "Crucio!"
The Death Eater was lifted off his feet. He writhed through the air like a drowning man, thrashing and howling in pain, and then, with a crunch and a shattering of glass, he smashed into the front of a bookcase and crumpled, insensible, to the floor.
"I see what Bellatrix meant," said Harry, the blood thundering through his brain, "you need to really mean it."
"Potter!" whispered Professor McGonagall, clutching her heart. "Potter — you’re here! What—? How?" She struggled to pull herself together. "Potter, that was foolish!"
"He spat at you," said Harry.
 "Well, usually when a person shakes their head," said McGonagall coldly, "they mean 'no'. So unless Miss Edgecombe is using a form of sign-language as yet unknown to humans..."


Lee Jordan was finding it difficult not to take sides.
"So-after that obvious and disgusting bit of cheating-"
"Jordan!" growled Professor McGonagall.
"I mean, after that open and revolting foul-"
"Jordan, I’m warning you-"
"All right, all right. Flint nearly kills the Gryffindor Seeker, which could happen to anyone, I’m sure…"
"You look in excellent health to me, Potter, so you will excuse me if I don’t let you off homework today. I assure you that if you die, you need not hand it in."

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love it when McGonagall lays the smack down on Umbridge. Those moments are the highlights of the fifth book.

    ReplyDelete