Monday, June 28, 2010

I am nothing like Bella from Twilight

I just got back from Atlanta last night. I went with my parents for my grandma's funeral. It was so good to see family, I hadn't seen some of them in 11 years. One cousin told me "I remember you at my wedding, you were a little bitty thing, and you kept asking "when's he gonna kiss her? when's he gonna kiss her?" It was so cute!" My favorite cousin was there, and we looked at wedding magazines together!

My youngest cousin was there, and me, my mom, her and one of my aunts were driving to go shopping when I told my aunt "yeah, I'm ferociously clumsy." My cousin gasps and goes "You're just like Bella! From Twilight!" I turned around in my seat and said "No, I'm not." She insisted "Yeah you are! You're clumsy and you have brown hair!"

I wish I had been able to say "Yeah, but I don't have an emotionally abusive vampire boyfriend, I don't cheat on my true love with my werewolf best friend, I haven't had a vampire baby that eats its way out of my uterus, and none of my boyfriends have sparkled in the sunlight."

I just said "Well. Maybe. Oooh! Look! American Eagle!"

I went to my first wake, and read the prayers of the faithful at the funeral. It was weird seeing my grandma. I touched her, out of morbid curiosity, and she was so cold. I couldn't think of any prayers when it was my turn to say goodbye, so I just kneeled on the prayer thing and thought 'Please, please, please take care of her and let her dance in heaven.'

It was a sad occasion, but good to see family again. I feel so bad for my grandpa. In August, it would've been their 62nd wedding anniversary. The saddest part is that every night, without fail, he told my grandma "Well, goodnight Peach. Love you bushels, honey. Sleep tight. I'll see you in the morning, okay?" Now he can't say that to her any more. The last time I saw her, she couldn't talk any longer because of her multiple sclerosis, she had the disease for 25 years.

At her funeral, I wore a pink feathered headband because her favorite color was pink, and she loved birds. I miss her.

Rest in Peace, Grandma.

My grandma and grandpa when they were dating

No comments:

Post a Comment