Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends." George Bernard Shaw

I hate barbecues.

There is one happening outside my window right now. My room is hot, so my window is open. The wind is blowing in cold air that smells like smoky meat. I dislike this. I am a vegetarian. That is why I don't like the smell of meat. I'm not used to it, I didn't grow up with bacon for breakfast and steak for dinner. My parents decided to raise my brother and I as vegetarians, cause, well, they're hippies.

I went through a crazy PETA phase when I was about 13, and watched a lot of disturbing videos involving animal cruelty that I can't exactly un-watch.

I have eaten meat exactly once in my almost 21 years. It was when I was in France for a family reunion. I was 12, and my grandmother insisted that I eat some lamb for dinner. I ate it, and threw up.

Anyway, barbecues. I don't like them. I hate standing in line for a handful of potato chips, hopefully some pasta salad without meat, a cookie, and some soda. Yes, there are veggie burgers. I don't really like the way they taste. Tofu dogs are also gross. The conversation I seem to have every 5 minutes "Oh, I don't eat meat. No, I've never had a hamburger....I've never eaten meat, why would I start today? These potato chips sure are delicious."

I have no problem if other people eat meat, I encourage it. Being vegetarian is definitely not for everyone. But please, don't shove meat in my face and try to get me to open my mouth. What are you, 6? I respect your choices, please respect mine.

I should probably close my window on that meaty smell.


"All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbecue and there was no meat, I would say, "Yo Goober! Where's the meat?" I'm trying to impress people here, Lisa. You don't win friends with salad." Homer Simpson

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh my God. I could be eating a slow learner." Lynda Montgomery

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you say people act that way about you being a vegetarian. The same thing happens when I tell people I don't drink, and that I never have and never will. It's simply a personal choice. I definitely respect your vegetarianism. I did it for awhile, but I wasn't getting enough vitamins and protein. Plus, I'm super picky.

    ReplyDelete