Thursday, January 7, 2010

10 Things That Make Me Happy


1. The Creperie in Helena, Montana
 Where else can you go in downtown Helena for delicious French food, a cozy atmosphere, and a place where you can talk with friends for hours?
(image found at http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/crepes-suzette-recipe.htm)

2. Pretty Dresses
Whatever mood I'm in, if I dress up, I instantly feel better. Sparkles? Floofy skirts? Bring it on. Long, short, I love to wear them dancing. There are many I lust after but don't own due to the price. The dresses I do own I cherish, I still have three of my prom dresses. They make me feel so pretty and girly, whether I wear flats or heels. The dress I'm showing is from Unique Vintage, one I'm currently lusting after. I'd feel like a princess. Or a ballerina.

3. Pictures of Boys Holding Puppies
It warms my heart. And it's adorable, and so much fun to look at! Especially when it's Johnny Depp holding a King Charles Spaniel. Aw!









4. Disney Movies
I am a 6 year-old at heart who knows all the words to 'Colors of the Wind', 'Belle', 'I just can't wait to be King', 'Kiss the Girl', 'A Whole New World','God Help the Outcasts', and 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'. I love the animation, the stories, the fanciful dresses, and the sweeping emotions that take hold of you as you watch the story unfold, time and time again.

5. The Harry Potter Series
My mom read the first one to my brother and me when I was in first grade, and I fell in love. I went to the midnight parties for the 4, 6, and 7 books and devoured each of them, reading well into the night, mourning each death. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out the summer after my first year of college, an appropriate ending for my childhood. J.K. Rowling takes on a heart-wrenching, super exciting adventure every time. I waited for my Hogwarts letter when I was 11, only to realize that I was a Muggle. A Muggle who loves this series and will defend it from nay-sayers until the day I die.

6. Taylor Swift
A delightful singer-songwriter, who doesn't have the best voice ever created, but she writes heart-wrenchingly truthful songs that make me say "Holy crap, I relate so much to these lyrics! It's like she knows me!" She loves sparkly dresses almost as much as I do, and showed up the MTV VMA's in a horse-drawn Cinderella carriage. Taylor, can we please be best friends? I'll give you excellent stories about boys that you can use as album fodder.

7. Julie Andrews
My goal is to be like her when I grow up. Play queens in many movies, have the mouth of a sailor, write a delightful memoir, perform on Broadway...I admire her so much and she makes me so happy. Mary Poppins is one of my favorite movies, my dad and I have bonded many times over 'Feed the Bird's, and my mom and I have bonded over 'Camelot' and 'My Fair Lady'. Thank you, Julie. I wish I could see you perform in London in May.

8. Writing
It gives me joy, whether it's online for all the world to see, secreted away in a Microsoft Word document on my computer, in my composition notebook journal, letters to loves, thank you notes to relatives, creating cards for friends, it makes my heart happy.

9. Baking
I love to bake, and I wish I was better at frosting. I made cinnamon buns for the first time last week, and they came out surprisingly well. I love making cake, muffins, biscuits, cupcakes, Puppy Chow and cookies. It gives me joy to see people enjoying what I created. I love to bake, and have my parents to thank for this. I still want to tackle creme brulee and foccacia.

10. The Daily Show and The Rachel Maddow Show
Their cynical, hilarious, Democratic look at the news and the world makes me laugh and learn so much every time I watch it. Plus, Jon is so handsome and adorable at the same time. And Rachel is gorgeous and quirky.


Runners-up- Shakespeare, Glee, Gene Kelly, The Tudors, royal British historical fiction, threadless, pictures of people kissing, stuffed animals, hamsters, Barack Obama, high heels, the color pink, kittens, Broadway, and of course, Daniel Radcliffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment