Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This situation calls for some Taylor Swift

Yesterday, my boyfriend of 10 days broke up with me. I was his first girlfriend, you would think the relationship would've lasted longer? Apparently not. I was also expecting it, because he had been avoiding me for 4 days. However, since I'm an eternal optimist, I was hoping that it wouldn't happen. I was hoping in the back of my mind for some sort of magnificent surprise, to apologize for the 4-day absence. Nope.

It hurt. I wasn't expecting it to. This is the first time someone broke up with me.

I will say this, though. For a guy who was breaking up with someone for the first time, it was surprisingly graceful. There was no name-calling. There was no blaming one another. There was no "OH, GOD, WHY? WE'RE PERFECT TOGETHER! YOU SIR, ARE TEARING ME ASUNDER!!"

In fact, the last couple minutes were...like a movie. A sad movie. So at work last night at work, I wrote out how it would appear in a script. It was cathartic for me. I cried a little more. I wallowed in my sadness.

Here it is.

Interior- R’s dorm room. Anna is perched on his chair by his desk. R is leaning on his ladder that leads to his lofted bed.

Anna: (Honestly) I feel incredibly lucky that I got to be your first kiss.
R: I do too.
Anna: So, I’m not going to say ‘let’s be friends’ because…well, we weren’t, we just started dating. But can we at least be acquaintances who say hi to each other when we see each other on campus?
R: (Looks at Anna like she’s crazy) Of course.
Anna: Okay. Good.
(They both stand. R and Anna hug.)
(Anna’s head is against R’s 6’4” chest. She looks up at him. He looks down at her 5’1” self. A moment passes. A brief kiss. A goodbye kiss.)
(The moment lapses into a hug, and R starts patting Anna’s back.)
Anna: Are you...patting my back?
R: I’m new at this.
(A real hug that lasts for about 30 seconds, a silent goodbye.)
Anna: This has never happened to me before. Wow. It hurts. (Her voice breaks) Okay. I need to leave before I start crying.
(R has his arm around Anna, she has her arm around his waist. They walk the three steps to the door-it’s a small dorm room. R opens the door for Anna.)
R: You’re really amazing. I bet you’ll find an awesome guy who really likes theatre soon.
Anna: Well, thank you. Maybe. Most of them are gay, though.
R: I bet you’ll find someone awesome.
Anna: Thanks. I bet you’ll find someone equally amazing. (A moment passes) Okay. Good-bye.
R: Bye.
(R shuts his door, and Anna walks quickly down the hallway, searching for the stairs.
The tears have started falling.)


Yeah, I was "that girl". Crying as I walked across campus.

'And you come away with a great little story, of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you...
'
-Cold as You Are, Taylor Swift

No comments:

Post a Comment