Saturday, November 14, 2009

Back in the Day


There are times when I wish I grew up in the 1950s or 1960s. Not just because of ads like this:

But because I feel like dating must have been so much easier!

There were no cell phones. You called the girl's house and asked to speak to her. If she wasn't there, you left a message.

You went to dances and actually danced, not grinding-dancing. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy today's style of dance when I'm in the right mindset, but there are times when all I want to do is waltz. Or be flipped around while swing dancing.

Note passing. It's adorable. Enough said.

Letter writing. I'm trying to get back in the spirit of this, because I adore sending and recieving letters. Being able to kiss the back of the envelope? Picking that special pen? Selecting stationary? Delightful.

Going on a date. The last time I did this was to go to a play. I even wore a skirt! But dinner and a movie-I feel like even that's fading away.

Getting all dressed up and excited to see your boyfriend. Or beau.

Having someone bring you flowers! On a first date! Or whenever! Is romance dead?

There was no texting. You were able to have an actual conversation without one or both of you becoming increasingly into texting another person who wasn't in the room. There was no sex-texting, which is uncomfortable and un-romantic.

One of the worst parts about texting? When someone breaks up with you, you have to delete the texts. Why would you want to keep them? I can see keeping one or two of the nice ones, as a delightful memento, but all the other ones?

Going through and deleting them is a pain.
"Erase. Yes, I do want to erase this message."
"Yes, I do want to erase 'I will text you when i am at ur door...Are ur roommates there?'"
"Yes, I do want to erase that uncomfortable text message."
"Oh, yes, I do want to erase that one."

It's like watching a relationship, however short, implode upon itself.

Awesome?

No comments:

Post a Comment